Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dope Plate Special

In a previous post (February 1, 2006), I mentioned a pet peeve - people who pay good money to have something stupid, inaccurately-spelled, and/or arrogant on a vanity license plate. I saw two new contenders for Idiot Prison (in which, of course, they would make standard-issue license plates) this morning:

  • A black Porsche Carrera, weaving through traffic at excessive speeds, with the plate "PRASE BE." Must be Praise Be to My Automobile, as I suspect that God would not be particularly pleased with this example of conspicuous, excessive consumption, nor with the mode of driving. Must be one of those Bush Christians-In-Name-Only (motto: "Tolerance? Humility? Justice? That's For Poor People.").
  • When I think "Engineer," I think "intelligent." I think "precise." I think "conscientious." Perhaps even "meticulous." I do NOT think a license plate that says "NJINEER."

4 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Impetua said...

I saw a Pontiac Vibe the other day with a vanity plate that read, "VIBER8R." Normally I view these things with disdain but this one actually made me laugh.

I would get one that says "IMPETUA" but nobody would know what it meant and I spend enough time explaining things to stupid people as it is.

(It doesn't mean anything, I made it up, but still.)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger J.Po said...

I had been wondering that myself...just assumed that someone had tagged you with that name because of of a certain forcefulness, tendency toward quick action, etc...or not?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Impetua said...

Actually semi-appropriated it from "Bridget Jones's Diary" which has a character named Perpetua in it.

I am rather impetuous so it seemed to fit...

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger yellojkt said...

There's a phrase used at technical colleges that goes like this:

"Four years ago I could not even spell injineer and now I are one."

I find the tag hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home