Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Thanks, Evil-Doers!

While going through my voice recorder that serves as handheld backup memory (hey - sometimes when I get a fleeting thought, important or otherwise, I had better capture it somewhere before it goes fleeting elsewhere!), I found an old blog idea as follows: "were I King of the World, eliminate all carry-on baggage on airlines," dictated following yet another frustrating travel experience in mid-July in which many patrons feel it is their birthright and a requirement to inconvenience every other passenger on the plane by carrying on all of their worldly possessions and then taking their sweet time unloading their carry-on from the overhead bins (generally, not the bin over their seats). Indeed, were I King, airline boarding and de-boarding would be a much more pleasant experience, as everyone would simply walk into the airplane, free of such luggage encumbrances, quickly sit in his or her seat, and de-board in a similar fashion.

But our Great-Satan-hating friends, the Terrorists (in Bushspeak: "Turrists"), have solved the problem for us! Recently-uncovered plots against trans-Atlantic flights have resulted in a sweeping ban against certain items, generally liquids that most folks carry in their overnight kits in their massive carry-on luggage, which will hopefully eliminate a great deal of this luggage. So as long as the flight attendants keep a steady stream of bottled water coming so that we don't die of dehydration on the plane, this King of the Infidels has one thing to say to Terror: thanks!

4 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger yellojkt said...

I always suspected you and Osama were in cahoots. I mastered the "fit all you need into one carry-on trick" so that I wouldn't have to risk the Samsonite destroyers absconding with my luggage. And I'm sorry, that drink tray doesn't come often enough to keep up with my altitude induced cotton-mouth. Maybe if vodka were free in coach, I could handle the carry-on water ban.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Impetua said...

I'm happy with a paperback, a pad of paper, and a writing instrument of some kind. Do they still let you have pens or pencils? I mean, we could really jab our way through the reinforced cabin doors with a good Bic or Ticonderoga...

J. Po, my King, you would hate me on a plane, for I am the "carry-it-all-on if at all possible" ilk, to avoid having to check my bags. Although to my credit I am quite nimble when it comes to stowing my bag and getting the hell out of the way. And I swear a lot while doing so which keeps recreational conversationalists at bay during the flight. Functionality in all things is the key to efficient air travel.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger J.Po said...

I suppose if people could carry on without inconveniencing ME (now we're getting to the heart of the matter, aren't we) in any way, shape or form, that would be OK.

Why it takes so long for bags to make it from a plane to a carousel is a Grand Mystery of such magnitude that I can't even begin to comprehend it.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Impetua said...

Actually, I'm amazed my suitcase even gets from the gate to the plane (and vice versa) at all, so I'm usually so grateful to see it that the long, boring wait is immediately replaced with jubilant thoughts of getting the hell out of the airport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home