Monday, February 13, 2006

A Hazy Date of Winter

After nearly two months of balmy temperatures, we in greater Philadelphia (local pronounciation: "Fluffya") have just enjoyed a light dusting of snow - about 16 inches worth in my little corner of paradise. A little late for our first signficant snow of the winter, mind you. But, truth be told, if it had to snow, the timing couldn't be better: started late afternoon/early evening on Saturday, so that the view out the window while dining at the fabulous Alison at Blue Bell was lovely, the drive back home wasn't too bad, and we were snug in our beds when the worst of the storm hit. Knowing we weren't going anyplace Sunday morning, as church services were canceled, we took to clearing driveways and sidewalks, then enjoyed the Sunday paper and a couple of adult beverages by the fire. And let me say this: yesterday, I loved nothing more than my snowblower. Best money I've ever spent. Makes my life MUCH easier, doesn't ask much in return, and it blows on command. (rim shot!)

A couple of stored-up observations from last week:

  • I have a funny rule of thumb about restaurants: If a restaurant incorporates the name of the highway on which it sits into its name, this is not a good indicator of a fine dining experience. I've seen enough of the places you would expect to be mediocre (e.g. Alberto's 202 Cucina), but one I saw last week just sounded bad on so many levels. Sited on Route 17 in northern New Jersey, awash in strip malls, gas stations, etc. sits Pier 17 Restaurant. Yes, driving for my live amid Hess stations, Dollar Stores, and TJ Maxxish establishments makes me think of nothing but "wow, I'll be the seafood is GREAT around here."
  • It's rare that something incorporates, nay, embraces three of my favorite rant sources: American arrogance, frivolous use of resources, and stupidity. But the International Star Registry gets the hat trick. First off, where do we come off saying that we have the right and the ability to not only name something in the natural world, but sell the rights to this contrived product? Second, I simply can't imagine pulling out a credit card to purchase this dubious honor (I'd like to research my hypothesis that those most likely to "purchase" a star are also most likely to incur credit card debt and least likely to make minimum monthly payments) so long as there's ANY person in need, ANYWHERE on Earth. Third, I might also guess that unless someone lives at Mt. Palomar Observatory, it would be a little challenging to see one's star as opposed to someone else's ("No, not THAT one. That's 'Stella Johnson'."). And finally, a word of warning: hearing the current ad on the radio, which touts giving a star for Valentine's Day, may cause projectile vomiting. "Wish on OUR star." "I love you!" Jesus, don't let these people procreate...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home